Midwest Auto Scene
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How To: Install Block Heater on GSR

3 posters

Go down

How To: Install Block Heater on GSR Empty How To: Install Block Heater on GSR

Post  GSR402Lx Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:20 pm

Mod: sorry if this is the wrong place, please move to right location.
Task difficulty from 1-5, 5 being hardest.. this is a 2, takes about 1hr most.

I"m sure u already know the purpose for the Block Heater so i'm not gonna go into details about it..If u're looking for an install guide, then u know u want to install it.

Disclaimer:
do this at your own risk..i'm not responsible if u mess up ur engine in any way or form. Its' best to perform this when the engine is cold, so to avoid getting burn my the header and or leaking coolant.

It's best to install during the day. I did this after i got home from work, the parts arrived the same day. That's y the pics kinda sux..

Engine perform on:
97 GSR

Supplies:
Container to catch coolant
Prestone 50/50 mix coolant for easy refill
Funnel (optional)
Rag
Hollow metal tube or pry bar
Socket and wrench (19mm and 24mm)
Block Heater kit from Honda dealer (look at pic for P/N)

ok here's goes:
supplies
How To: Install Block Heater on GSR DSC03076

Parts
How To: Install Block Heater on GSR DSC03083
How To: Install Block Heater on GSR DSC03082

location of 19mm screw cap
How To: Install Block Heater on GSR DSC03081

Remove the cap SLOWLY, use pry bar or hollow metal tube for levage..when cap loosen enough, use ur finger and slowly loosen it until u can remove it..
How To: Install Block Heater on GSR DSC03079

Time to swap out the cap for the heater part..
Hint: to reduce the amount of coolant draining out, turn the cap loose with left hand, have the heater ready in your right hand next to the cap..as the cap came, quickly snap the heater in the hole and start turning..tighten the heater at finger tight.

using a 24mm socket tighten it all the way..i don't know how much torque needed but i just tighten it as much as i could. Don't force it, u don't want to sheer the thread.
How To: Install Block Heater on GSR DSC03078

now check coolant level and refill as much as needed.
How To: Install Block Heater on GSR DSC03077

using the zip ties provided in the kit, route the heater cord to your liking, clear out of header's runner way so the wire won't get burn.
here's where i zip tie mine and where it came out the front.
How To: Install Block Heater on GSR DSC03073
How To: Install Block Heater on GSR DSC03074
How To: Install Block Heater on GSR DSC03075

clean up your mess..
Start her up and look for leaking..make sure u run the car up to op. temp to see if u get heat inside the car. Bleed the system if you don't have heat after driving for a while, u might have air bubble in ur coolant system..bleed the system according to owner's manual..

FIN!

thanks for looking..simple but effective.

GSR402Lx

Male Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Back to top Go down

How To: Install Block Heater on GSR Empty Re: How To: Install Block Heater on GSR

Post  J Rod Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:53 pm

Not necessarily an all motor discussion thread, but VERY helpful and I think I am going to do this. Moved to B Series.
J Rod
J Rod
Moder-Hater

Male Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-01-13

http://www.nestreetscene.com

Back to top Go down

How To: Install Block Heater on GSR Empty Re: How To: Install Block Heater on GSR

Post  GSR402Lx Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:59 pm

i was looking for a specific sub forum to put it in..like a sub forum for stickies or an Installs forum where u have a compilation of different install guide and such..but didn't see it so..thanks for moving it though..

GSR402Lx

Back to top Go down

Post  J Rod Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:27 pm

no prob man
J Rod
J Rod
Moder-Hater

Male Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-01-13

http://www.nestreetscene.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Buck Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:34 am

good clear write-up.... much needed info for peeps that live in the sub-artic such as myself Crying or Very sad
Uncle Buck
Uncle Buck
Moder-Hater

Male Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  GSR402Lx Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:01 am

^^yeah, no prob..it just started to snow again here today and sounds like we gonna get any from 2-4inches by the morning..this block heater should really help the engine out..what i found while searching is that, most of the simple install guide are kinda hard to come by..especially those with pics..when trying an diy project, no matter how simple it is, i always need some kind of picture to help..i'm like those who learn thru reading, visual, and textile..so i pretty much need everything b4 i can try something.

GSR402Lx

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down